Do You Have a Personal Real Estate Broker?
If you’re planning on buying a home or investment property, you may have already done some shopping around on your own. Perhaps you’ve checked out a few or called the number on a For Sale sign to schedule a private viewing of that property.
Yes, you can do all of that on your own, if you have the time and expertise. However, statistics prove that you’ll be more successful in finding the right investment at the right price with your own personal real estate broker.
Your Real Estate Broker Works for You
For most people, there is no distinction between a real estate broker and a real estate agent. However, if you work in the real estate industry, there is a very clear difference. All real estate brokers were once licensed agents — but not all agents are brokers. Brokers assume legal responsibility for the agents and the real estate transactions being managed through their brokerage. Agents hang their licenses with a brokerage, and the broker provides oversight, consultation, and direction to ensure transactions get managed according to the letter of the law.
A real estate broker, especially one who knows the local market well (like I do), can help you find and buy your ideal property, quickly, and make the entire process go smoothly for you. During a viewing, your real estate broker will give you the inside scoop on that property, so you know the full story. Your real estate broker will also point out desirable features, and potential “issues”, that you might otherwise miss.
When it comes time to make an offer, your real estate broker will present and negotiate it on your behalf. If you don’t have your own real estate broker or agent, you would have to deal directly with the seller’s agent, who is legally obliged to work in the seller’s best interests – not yours.
Bottom line: Your own personal real estate broker is there for you, every step of the way. At least, that’s how I work with my clients.
What to Look for in a Real Estate Broker
When buying a property, you want a real estate broker who…
- Takes the time to understand your needs and goals, so you have a true partner in your investment buying journey.
- Explains everything clearly and answers your questions, so you’re never in the dark.
- Has expertise and a track record of success in the local market.
- Knows how to find great properties in your price range.
- Knows how to analyse a property and explains the numbers to you.
- Will alert you to new listings, quickly, so you get the jump on those opportunities.
- Will advise you on the best price to offer for the property you want.
- Will prepare and present the offer, and skilfully negotiate such things as price, conditions, closing dates, etc. so you get the best deal.
- Will save you potentially thousands of dollars by ensuring you don’t overpay for the property you want.
- Will recommend reputable property inspectors, lawyers, lenders and other professionals you may need.
- Will take care of the dozens and dozens of details involved in buying a property, so you don’t have to worry about them.
- Will help to ensure everything goes smoothly between finding the property and closing the sale.
Not every real estate broker offers all of these services. My clients say that I do. They also tell me how much they appreciate my professionalism, expertise and accessibility.
The best way to select the right real estate broker or agent, is to meet with him or her in person. Ask questions. See if there is a good fit.
To schedule an appointment with me, please call or email. If it’s more convenient for you, submit the form below and I’ll get back to you.